Thursday, April 30, 2009

Response to a misleading Craigslist ad.

2 PSL's for NY Jets - 50 yard line - $1
"I am offering the rights to two 50 yard line (Sec: 131 - Row:37) and under cover personal seat licenses for the NY Jets at their new stadium. These are Great Hall Club seats. $30,000 each"


I would like to purchase your two fifty yard line club seats for your posted price of one dollar each.

You say in the text of the ad $30,000 each, but that seems like a lot more than you posted in the headline. I'm more than willing to pay the price you give in the headline, but upping it thirty-thousand percent in the body of the ad is either a gross miscalculation on your part or you don't understand how writing an ad works.

When I search on craigslist for Jets tickets with a maximum price set at say, oh, one hundred dollars and I see that someone is selling tickets for a dollar, I think "Hey, great, someone really must need to get rid of their tickets." I'm not thinking "Well, I guess I should spend three hundred times more than I can afford to".

If the price is 30K per ticket, put that in the headline. Putting $1 in the headline doesn't trick anybody into buying your tickets, it just makes you look like an idiot or an asshole.
If the price genuinely is one dollar per ticket, then I apologize for my harsh language and genuinely wish to purchase your tickets.

But you're probably just being an asshole.

2 comments: